If you have not read the Reading the Directions post I posted earlier, go read that first.
Update:
Yesterday we revieved for a columns and tables test in BCIS. They had a handout with instructions and when they were finished they had to raise their hands so I could check their work and give them immediate feedback on what they did right and wrong.
OH MY FREAKING GOODNESS!!! Apparently threat to their lives for not reading directions had worn off. It was ridiculous.
So by 6th period I finally came up with a great idea. Bribery.
I told my 6th period that whoever raised their hand, and I checked their work and they had it perfect the FIRST time, would get a cupcake next week. They were ecstatic.
Student: "So is it like the first one who gets it done gets a cupcake?"
Me: "No! The whole class could get cupcakes. Its not a race, so take your time and make sure you READ and FOLLOW ALL of the DIRECTIONS!"
Student: "Okay, so Mrs. Wilcox, if we ask you a question, will that disqualify us from the cupcake?"
Me: "Absolutely not. As long as you are still working and if you have a question, that's great. But once you raise your hand and say you are done and that you want me to check it, that's it."
They all eagerly went about their assignment. And pretty soon hands starting going up for me to check it. It was actually quite comical because its like they were all feeling suspense...will I get a cupcake...did I do everything right?
So when I checked a student's work and got it right I would yell out "(Insert student's name here) is getting a cupcake!" I was nice enough not to yell out the kids who didn't get a cupcake.
We'll see how long this lasts.
14 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment