Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I am not my Grandma

I'm giving up on Gobs. Maybe for a very long time...maybe just for a couple more weeks, I don't know. I just know that I don't want to see the gob recipe or batter for a long time.

For those of you who don't know what a GOB is, its this delightful treat that my Grandma makes quite perfectly. Basically you have two soft chocolate cookies with a fluffy vanilla filling in between. Similar to an Oreo Cakester only much, MUCH better.

I made them WITH my Grandma back in March when I went to visit her for spring break. Then I got back to Houston and decided to try them on my own a couple weeks later. I like to bake sweet treats for my work peeps and I thought this would be the perfect new treat.

Wrong.

The cookie part turned out perfect, I mean, absolutely beautiful. I was so proud that my first Gob minus Grandma experience was going so well.

The came the filling...oh that bastardly filling. (I don't know if "bastardly" is actually a word, but I like it, so its staying in my post.)

The filling is supposed to be nice and light and fluffy. Mine was nice and sweet and RUNNY!!! Ugh, I went ahead made them that way, and wrapped them up and took them to work anyway. They are a lot of work and I couldn't just toss them. And really, they tasted pretty good, the filling just wasn't the right consistency.

Nathan ate two of them that night, and one of my mentor teachers ate a couple that next day, and then took a bunch home to his wife. So I mean, really, they were okay. But just OKAY.

My mentor teacher told me that it was a good thing I didn't get it perfect on the first try because then I wouldn't be trying it again and bringing more in a few weeks.

So it is said mentor teacher's birthday on Thursday, and I thought what better way to show my appreciation than to make him some gobs.

So tonight, I started making them again. It must be a sophomore slump or something. But this time the cookies part didn't turn out quite right. Terrible or bad? No...but just okay. And I don't like to make things "just okay".

Now onto the filling part. I had called my Grandma after that first batch and learned that I hadn't cooked the milk and the flour long enough. So I was determined not to make that mistake again.

Well, I don't know if I cooked it TOO long this time or what, but now the filling is too THICK and it just doesn't look or taste right at all.

And my hand mixer broke. I think I ran the poor thing into the ground trying to beat that stupid filling to death.

So I think its a sign folks...no more gobs until I can get back to Grandma's for another lesson. My Grandma thinks the reason its not working out is because I'm supposed to come visit her again! :)

On a funny note, when I called Grandma I told her "Grandma, I giving up on gobs." She doesn't hear very well, and she thought I said I was giving up on GOD. HA! Oh I love my Grandma, she is the coolest! :)

So Don, if you're reading this, I tried. You'll just have to make do with one of my other cookie options. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment